Friday, January 02, 2009

The Big Bang Theory and teleportation



Have a look at the opening segment (video below) of this episode of The Big Bang Theory. I've had exactly the same conversation about teleportation (or transporters on Star Trek) more times than I can count. Sheldon (taller guy, on the left in the picture) is the theorist and Leonard is the experimentalist, both at Caltech.

On teleportation from A to B: let's reverse the time ordering of steps and see if it bothers you. If I were to first produce an exact replica of you at the desired location B, would you then be willing to step into a disintegration chamber at A?

Opening segment (Amazon); full episode - The Jerusalem Duality (avi video)

Another bit of dialog from the episode; Rajnesh is an astrophysicist.
Rajnesh Koothrappali: Do you know what he (Sheldon) did? He watched me work for 10 minutes, and then started to design a simple piece of software that could replace me.
Leonard Hofstadter: Is that even possible?
Rajnesh Koothrappali: As it turns out, yes.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"If I were to first produce an exact replica of you at the desired location B, would you then be willing to step into a disintegration chamber at A?"

No. Between the time my replica is made and I am destroyed my replica and I become non-identical. My destruction must preceed my replication for one me to persist. Two me's, three me's, etc. is also possible, each continuous with the old me, as long as I am destroyed prior to my replications.

Peetu said...

The acting and scenes are very amazing and great. I always like to watch it. This is my favorite show & I always crazy to watch the eps of The Big Ban Theory Episodes.

Dpiercex7 said...

Great show, great cast and great storyline. These all ingredients I have found in one show and that is The Big Bang Theory TV Show

Blog Archive

Labels